We love visiting with friends and seeing how everyone works out their daily practices differently. Take a moment as we share some of what we do in our family.
Meals are a special time for us. We enjoy having breakfast, lunch, and dinner as a family (minus dad at lunch on weekdays). As the eating winds down, we all work on the passages of Scripture that we are memorizing (below) and on catechism questions. The questions and answers trigger discussions on our understanding of God and His revelations to us. We also read books aloud after meals.
I am learning more and more the importance of hiding God’s Word in my heart. We memorize passages as a family after mealtimes, and I have included here a growing list of passages that we memorize.
- Deuteronomy 6:4–12
- “Hear O Israel…” (Shema Yisrael). (PDF)
- Exodus 20:2–17
- The Ten Commandments (PDF)
- Matthew 6:9–13
- The Lord’s Prayer. This we memorize in KJV since it is sometimes said together with other believers. (PDF)
- Acts 4:24-30
- An early “creed”/prayer composed after Peter and John were arrested for healing a lame man. (PDF)
- Ephesians 6:10-12
- “We do not wrestle against flesh and blood…” A topical passage that we are memorizing with other believers. (PDF)
- 1 Corinthians 13
- Beautiful chapter about true love.
- Psalm 1
- The blessed man.
- Psalm 100
- A Psalm of thanksgiving.
- Romans 1:18-25
- “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.”
- Romans 11:33-36
- “Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!”
- Proverbs 30:7-9
- “Two things I asked of You, Do not refuse me before I die.”
- Genesis 1
- “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.”
- Psalm 23
- “…though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…”
We read a lot individually and as a family. Check out our Book List to see what we have read as a family.